As to the other bizarre symptoms, he said that he had no idea and that I should concentrate on stopping the diarrhea. The reason that my doc had no idea is that this is a fairly unknown disease in the U.S. except for South Florida, BUT, it’s getting more prevalent in our country as more fish species are being imported and waters around the world are becoming warmer.
Other culprits besides black, yellow fin and dusty grouper are: barracuda, amber jack, king mackerel, cuber snapper, dog snapper and hog fish. There is one treatment that lessens symptoms and that is taking Mannitol within the first 48 hours intravenously.
So, while I wait for my nerve fibers to (hopefully) regenerate, I have eliminated all the triggers from my diet that might bring back severe symptoms: fish, alcohol, nuts, chicken, pork (seems that chicken and pork eat products made from fish, who knew?) I’m making up new recipes as I’m going along on this journey that I’ll be sharing with you soon…maybe toucan kick-start a better diet without going through this discomfort to get there.
Many of us travel to warm water destinations, I want you all to come home with good memories, not ciguatera! If you would like to read more information about ciguatera written in a more scientific way, toucan read this from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and also this warning from the World Health Organization.
THURSDAY, Jan. 31 (Health Day News) -- People who eat large, tropical predatory reef fish such as barracuda and grouper may be at risk for a form of food poisoning called ciguatera fish poisoning, U.S. health officials reported Thursday. Illness occurs when people eat fish that contain toxins produced by a marine alga called Gambierdiscus toxic us, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The CDC report said there was a significant increase in ciguatera poisoning cases in New York City among people who ate locally purchased barracuda or grouper in 2010 and 2011. During the period August 2010 through July 2011, city health officials received reports of six outbreaks and one single case of ciguatera fish poisoning, involving a total of 28 people.
Eating some kinds of spoiled fish can cause dramatic symptoms. Common types of poisoning from spoiled fish include rhomboid and ciguatera.
The fish most often responsible include tuna, mahi-mahi, mackerel, marlin, bluefish, amber jack, and abalone, though many others have caused rhomboid poisoning. A person who catches his or her own fish must be careful to keep the fish refrigerated at all times, at a temperature no higher than 40 degrees F. There is no other reliable way to prevent rhomboid poisoning.
If anyone develops symptoms of rhomboid from fish from a store or restaurant, be sure to let the facility and the health department know. Symptoms of rhomboid fish poisoning begin quickly, within about 15 minutes to 2 hours.
Most people experience some combination of flushing and rash on the face and upper body, sweating, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. More serious symptoms of breathing trouble, swelling of the tongue and mouth, and blurred vision, require treatment in an emergency room with antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) and perhaps other drugs.
Ciguatera fish poisoning causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness, joint aches, headache, dizziness, and low blood pressure. Symptoms may begin within 15 minutes to 24 hours after eating affected fish.
Rose Ann Gould Solo way, RN, BSN, Used, Rabat emerita Clinical Toxicologist Avoid eating large fish, at or near the top of the food chain, as they are most likely to cause ciguatera poisoning.
04-24-2006, 03:32 PM # 1 Location: Daytona Beach FL He has been extremely healthy, and eats chunks of peeled shrimp or fish, that I brought home from my stepdads seafood company. Over the last 3 or 4 days he has been acting erratic and I notice his forehead turned bright red, the rest of his body turned a pale red-pink, and his eyes have been bulging a little.
Is this some type of sickness, or is it possible he was stung by an anemone? The situations mentioned above are usually brought on by stress and poor water quality.
04-24-2006, 04:25 PM # 3 Location: Daytona Beach FL The only other fish in the tank is a fuzzy dwarf lion about the same size.
There are 2 anemones, a feather duster, a chocolate chip star and a few hermit crabs. He seems to be rubbing a lot around his forehead, and it is a darker red than the rest of his body, but not any redder than he gets when he is excited, so I'm not sure if it is blood and scrapes or just his color.
No white spots of any kind of stuff on him, just poor color. His eyes look kind of strange like he is “out of it” and the right one is a little cloudy, and he just sits under his favorite rock or deep in his shell.
If he is sick, how can I treat him?..... I have no QT, and there are a couple anemones and tube worms in the tank. *If guns kill people... Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
04-24-2006, 11:19 PM # 6 Location: Daytona Beach FL I know he is tough, so I hope he makes it, after the water change, is there anything else I can do.
I am guessing the raw shrimp + sloppy eaters has caused this water problem. *If guns kill people... Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
04-24-2006, 11:34 PM # 8 Location: Daytona Beach FL I pick up all the shrimp that they don't eat, but I'm sure some gets missed.
8O I know you do not want to hear this but, if you want to save these fish see if the local store will take them back. You have a grouper, a fuzzy dwarf lion, 2 anemones, a feather duster, a chocolate chip star and a few hermit crabs in a 10 gallon tank.
*If guns kill people... Spoons make Michael Moore fat. You need to increase your water changes to about 50% and very day until ammonia and nitrite are no longer detectable.
I know all about how big they will get. My old 125 gal tanks is still set up in my dads Florida room, and has my original saltwater fish still in it, my 12" panther grouper, a 10 spotted grouper and a 5-inch huma. I plan on putting these fish in the tank when they get big enough, but that won't be for a while.
I couldn't find a fuzzy dwarf any bigger than 2 inches, so I just planned to raise him. I can't just add them to the big tank as much as I would kite too, or they would just be another meal.
I planned to raise them till they were about 5 or 6 inches in the 55 gal, and then move them in with the big boys and turn the 55 into a reef. I know it isn't the right size tank to raise these fish in, but I have no option until I move in a couple of weeks, and it is survey better than the LFS where the lion had been for months in a 6×6” cube.
And the fish are small enough right now that they can comfortably swim around in this tank, however I now that won't last more than a few months. I am moving around May 5th-10th, so I will be setting up something bigger for them ASAP.
I hate to set up any more tanks with this move being so close, the fish have been great for months, I wish they would have been good for a week or two more! ALSO..... I noticed that my lions fins on either side are a little frayed, and that as he hunts around the tank he always gets stung a little by this anemone.
Believe it or not, we do rarely see this kind of upgrade process from people so don't take the lecture to hard. As soon as other arrangements can be made to separate the cnidarians from the fish or at least give them more room you'll see a fair improvement.
Vibrato is a possibility as is a common bacterial infection but will be hard to determine given the fish's otherwise blotchy appearance/coloration. You'll need to be very careful to examine the fish for any potential signs of rash, scales looking odd, cottony tufts, ulcers, red streaks, eye being continually cloudy and so on.
04-25-2006, 08:34 PM # 13 Location: Daytona Beach FL I did a 25% water change tonight, and I bought some Marcel “Marilyn” for the fish as an antibiotic just because the grouper has rubbed his forehead pretty raw, the guys at the LFS said would be ok for my anemones and feather dusters. I am going to do another 25% change tomorrow, and another in a couple of days.
While it won't harm the inhabitants, it will impede your bio filter so test daily for NH3 and NO2. With Marilyn II, it needs to be added daily for 7 days @ 2 mg/ gal with a 25% water change prior to each new dose.